Alien : The incineration of Ash's head

leading from

 



a) Ian Holm watched the incineration
Ian Holm watched the fake head being incinerated.
 
He watched the blue-yellow blaze around the head and perceived through it his own life being consumed. 
 
He wasn't exactly happy at the time. 
 
He reasoned that just as good things had happened to him, he also supposed that it was only proper that over the years some bad things would seek him out. 
 
The random shapelessness of it all could certainly not be explained or symbolised by chunk of burning rubber filled with onions.
  1. Ian Holm: Afterwards, when he has been subdued and his decapitated head has been electronically probed for information about the corporations intentions, Ash's head is incinerated, Scott decided to use a "real fake" for this scene and it was strange sensation to watch my likeness go up with flames.  For the purposes of this narrative it would be felicitous to say that as I watch with blue-yellow blaze around my head I saw my own life being consumed. It's true I wasn't happy but I reasoned that just as good things had happened to me, so I suppose it was only proper that over the years some bad things would seek me out. And the random shapelessness of it all could certainly not be explained or symbolised by chunk of burning rubber filled with onions. (Ian Holm: Acting my life, p222) 

No comments:

Post a Comment