Alien 5: Sharlto Copley or not?

leading from






a) The Repeating Conversation
Sharlto and Neill often had the conversation everytime Neill ends a movie and he tells Sharlto that he wants to put him in the next one but he can't because it doesn't make sense to do all the movies with him. So he had done District 9, Elysium and Chappie all with Sharlto as a major character, although in the latter film it was through motion capture performance as the robot so the viewer wouldn't have seen him, but somewhere else in the movie his own face pops up.

b) The high possibility of no Sharlto
So Neill said that Sharlto would not be in Alien 5 but he would know more at the time the movie is made and Sharlto on May 9th was still still acknowledging this as the decision. Now experienced with performance capture, perhaps he could could be put in as one of the aliens and no one would know. Despite this Sharlto remained very excited that Neill was going to do something with the Alien franchise since it was something special to Neill.

Quote sources
  1. MTV. I'm very curious and I don't know if people talk to you about this, Neill tweeted recently this amazing artwork that he had created I guess for a potential Alien film. Was this something you guys discussed. 
    SIGOURNEY WEAVER: We did we chatted about it 
    MTV: When was it years ago or what?
    SIGOURNEY WEAVER: And he is a great fan
    MTV: Was this recent or what?
    SIGOURNEY WEAVER: Erm, we started chatting about it, like, the first day of Chappie
    MTV: So this came during Chappie
    SIGOURNEY WEAVER: Yuh, and er, erm, you know, I don't know what's going to happen with it, but obviously it couldn't be in better hands than with Mr Blomkamp
    MTV: I mean, are you optimistic, this is obviously the question that's, that follows you every day about, (it keeps coming back to you , yuh(?))
    SIGOURNEY WEAVER: You know, I never think about it, erm, I never wanted to manufacture a sequel, I don't think that works, but this happened very organically, and I know that he is one of the greatest fans. I think he wore those VH or tapes out, 
    MTV: VCR
    SIGOURNEY WEAVER: VCR tapes out, 
    MTV: Yeah, yeah, yeah
    SIGOURNEY WEAVER: but when he was a kid, so there's no greater lover of these movies than Neill so we'll see what happens
    MTV : Can you say anything about what his take was, I mean the fact that there's an image of Hicks in there, the fact that there's obviously you in a xenomorph kind of intermingles
    SIGOURNEY WEAVER: It's a pretty amazing story. We'll see what happens
    MTV: I was just on with Sigourney and I wanted to know, obviously you guys sort of you know, your friends, friendly with Neill, I have to ask you this, do you guys all talk about this Alien project together, do you know what's up going on with it, because she said, like, this sounds amazing this project that we're talking about.
    Sharlto Copley: I do because I'm friends with him, you know
    MTV: That's what I figure . So I want to go to you. I know you can't say anything but
    Sharlto Copley:  I can tell you but I'd have to kill you
    MTV: Hah, that might be worth it.  
    Sharlto Copley: Yuh
    MTV: How cool does this sound. Does it sound amazing?
    Sharlto Copley: It might be worth it, that's what's so. I don't think it's worth dying but I mean, maiming, 
    MTV: I'd have problems
    Sharlto Copley:we can maim you it's probably worth that. 
    MTV:  .... piece of leg
    Sharlto Copley: It's probably worth losing a leg
    MTV: A piece of leg for a Neill Blomkamp Alien movie
    Sharlto Copley: There you go, you know, There you go
    MTV: Would it be amazing, would it make my life
    Sharlto Copley: Dude, spectacular
    MTV: Right
    Sharlto Copley: Yuh, Yuh, That was like my favourite franchise of of of all time in science fiction
    MTV: Of course
    Sharlto Copley:  Yuh
    MTV: Genius. Um, tell me about
    Sharlto Copley: The first three
    MTV:  Yes, yes
    Sharlto Copley: First two really
    MTV: I even like Fincher alright ((Sigourney Weaver Discusses The Possible Neill Blomkamp 'Alien' Sequel | MTV 13 Feb 2015)
  2. With the announcement a few weeks ago that Neill Blomkamp's sequel for Aliens has been greenlit by Fox, the next logical question is whether the director's long-time friend and lucky charm, actor Sharlto Copley (District 9) will be involved.
    In our exclusive interview with Copley today, we asked the actor (who is promoting his lead role in Sony's Playstation Network series Powers) if he's talked  with his friend about when, or if, he's going to saddle up in the Sigourney Weaver-starring sequel.
    "We've had the conversation," he said with a smile in his voice, "But it's the familiar conversation with Neill every time he ends a movie where he tells me he wants to put me in the next one but he can't because, practically, it doesn't make sense to do all of his movies with me. At some point, he has to go away and then we'll return and do something which I fully understand. I never expected to be in all his films for two seconds."
    The problem is that Copley has actually appeared in all of Blomkamp's features, even the recently released Chappie, for which the actor did the motion capture performance of the sentient robot.
    "I've been arguing with him that Chappie doesn't really count," Copley laughed, "because people can't see me, so they don't know that it's me. However, I do actually have a cameo in Chappie, which I don't know if anyone has spotted. You see my face for a brief second, which was Neill's idea."
    As to our initial question, Copley did clarify that "at the moment, no. I'm not in the Aliens [sequel]. But I'm super-excited he's doing it, and it's surreal to get to see him do something with a franchise that for him and I was one of our favorite all-time franchises."
    When we suggested he could do another mo-cap performance as a xenomorph, Copley perked up and said,  "You know he could put me in as a xenomorph and no one would know. We know that I can do good performance capture, now. Neill starts out very determined, but you never know as he gets closer to the time."
    Sharlto said he's going to start with some reverse psychology soon, pitching to Neill, 'OK, dude you know how people loved Wilkus (District 9), Kruger (Elysium) and Chappie. I'm just saying all three characters landed with the audience. If you want to go without me, you can. There are other actors. You can use them if you like,' the actor laughed.
    We say run with it, Sharlto. (http://www.blastr.com/9th March 2015)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment