Alien: Covenant:
Heading towards Prometheus: Paradise Lost:
Elizabeth Shaw towards Paradise


 
"Satan Exulting over Eve" by William Blake
 
 
 
 
a) The destination is Paradise
 
a.i) Settling for the name Prometheus 2

Ridley wanted this film to be called Paradise but had to settle for Prometheus 2

The destination at the end of the Prometheus movie is Paradise
 
 
a.ii) What's in a name?

For Ridley this became interesting because Paradise can not be what you think it is.

It must has a connotation of being extremely sinister and ominous to the extent that it could be the most savage horrible place!


 
 
b) A need to get to Paradise
 
b.i) Elizabeth Shaw wanted to go there
 
Noomi knew that Elizabeth Shaw wanted to go to Paradise. 
 
She doesn't want to go back to Earth because  there is nothing back there for her there and of course she wants to know where these giant creatures come from. 
 
So the character thinks that the place would be a sort of a dark paradise. 
 
Elizabeth wants answers. 
 
Meanwhile the actress Noomi herself shared both her curiosity and anger.

 
b.ii) What was in Paradise?
 
As far as it was known, the Alien beast would not be found on Paradise.
 
Noomi Rapace wondered herself if what is waiting there as her new threat might be God or the devil. 
 
However she really didn't know what Ridley was going to come up with or where he was going to take the characters.

  1.  Movies.com:The film asks very big questions about where we come from as a species, and where we go when we die. It’s not possible to deliver concrete answers, but I’m hoping you can tell me how, in the planning stages of the script and story, you came to decide which open-ended, philosophical questions you would at the very least attempt to answer definitively. 
    Ridley Scott: Well, from the very beginning, I was working from a premise that lent itself to a sequel. I really don’t want to meet God in the first one. I want to leave it open to [Noomi Rapace’s character, Dr. Elizabeth Shaw] saying, “I don’t want to go back to where I came from. I want to go where they came from.” 
    Movies.com: So that was always going to be the natural ending for this film?
    Ridley Scott: Totally. And because they’re such aggressive f**kers … and who wouldn’t describe them that way, considering their brilliance in making dreadful devices and weapons that would make our chemical warfare look ridiculous? So I always had it in there that the God-like creature that you will see actually is not so nice, and is certainly not God. As she says, “This is not what I thought it was going to be, and I think we should get the Hell out of here or there won’t be any place to go back to.
    That’s not necessarily planted in the ground at the tail end of the third act, but I knew that’s kind of where we should go, because if we’ve opened up this door -- which I hope we have because I certainly would like to do another one – I’d love to explore where the hell [Dr Shaw] goes next and what does she do when she gets there, because if it is paradise, paradise can not be what you think it is. Paradise has a connotation of being extremely sinister and ominous. 
     
    Movies.com: We’re not going to get a slow build in this second film, then. These guys are volatile from the start? 
    Ridley Scott: In a funny kind of way, if you look at the Engineers, they’re tall and elegant … they are dark angels. If you look at [John Milton’s] Paradise Lost, the guys who have the best time in the story are the dark angels, not God. He goes to all the best nightclubs, he’s better looking, and he gets all of the birds. [Laughs]
    Movies.com: So Milton was one of your influences for the Engineers?
    Ridley Scott:  That sounds incredibly pretentiously intellectual. (http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232) Jun 05, 2012)
  2. MTV Interviewer: Ridley Scott has recently said about Prometheus 2, he said there's going to be no xenomorphs in it, you know, the classic aliens are not going to be in Prometheus 2

    Noomi
    : Yuh

    MTV Interviewer: So with that in mind what would you like to see in Prometheus 2 and, and , and what do you think that world's going to be like when you return to it

    Noomi Rapace: Well, erm  I know that Elizabeth Shaw wants to go to Paradise,  you know I say that in the first one , you know, I don't want to go back, I don't want to go, you know, ' cause she can't go to Earth,  there's nothing left for her there really and er, she wants to go where they came from, these giant, these creatures, erm, and and you know,  I think she in her head, that's the dark paradise in a way,  so what's there. you know?  why, I don't know, I think she wants like, answers. she wants to know, erm, and , and that's, I feel like I'm sharing her, erm,  curiosity but also anger.

    MTV Interviewer: Erm, I wonder what the ultimate threat will be with out that alien, you know, without that xenomorph

    Noomi Rapace: Hmm, God maybe... God or The Devil. or I don't know, I don't know what he's coming up with, where he's going to take us, but it's erm, I can't wait to go there. I don't know what we're going to discover. (MTV, Published on Oct 15, 2014)


No comments:

Post a Comment