Guillermo del Toro's concerns about Prometheus

leading from


a) Sudden concern about Prometheus

When Ridley Scott started filming the movie "Prometheus", Guillermo thought that this would be even more like "At the Mountains of Madness" than Alien could ever have been.

He thought that it could have too much overlap with story and tone, since the film appeared to deal with a lot of the same issue that Mountains of Madness does

  1. The filmmaker did say earlier this year that he was worried that Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" could have too much overlap with story and tone, the film dealt with a lot of the same issue that 'Mountains Of Madness' does. But that was before he saw the film.( Interview with Guillermo Del Toro http://blogs.indiewire.com/ January 7th 2013
  2. Guillermo Del Toro: When I’m brave enough to go and see 'Prometheus,' I’ll know. But for now, I don’t know, We are all nothing but human beings. I go to the theatre, I buy my ticket for Prometheus and I go and see something else, because I’m afraid. I’m not a mental entity, I am also emotional, because the ideas are similar, from what I’ve heard and I’ll see it next week, I promise! (http://blogs.indiewire.com/ 17th July 2012)

b) "Prometheus" set to ruin his "At The Mountains of Madness" project

He was certain that the use of the name Prometheus was being used as a Greek metaphor alluding to the creation aspects of the H P Lovecraft books and was actually going to cause either a long pause or the complete demise of his on "At the Mountains of Madness" project.

  1.  Guillermo Del Toro: I have been interviewed about this lately and wanted to post my two cents about this: Prometheus started filming a while ago- right at the time we were in pre-production on PACIFIC RIM. The title itself gave me pause- knowing that ALIEN was heavily influenced by Lovecraft and his novella. This time, decades later with the budget and place Ridley Scott occupied, I assumed the Greek metaphor alluded at the creation aspects of the HPL book. I believe I am right and if so, as a fan, I am delighted to see a new RS science fiction film, but this will probably mark a long pause -if not the demise- of ATMOM. The sad part is- I have been pursuing ATMOM for over a decade now- and, well, after Hellboy II two projects I dearly loved were not brought to fruition for me.  The good part is: One project did... And I am loving it and grateful for the blessings I have received. (Guillermo De Toro's message bored. See: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/, 5/6/2012

c) Decision to go ahead anyway for a while

But afterwards although there were things in common, he decided to go ahead anyway because in terms of any similar imagery, since Lovecraft got there first.

d) Change of mind about Prometheus

However Guillermo got to point when he found that it was less and less likely that his Lovecraft film could ever go ahead before deciding that the original Alien would be as close there would be to a film of the story.

  1. Indiewire: Del Toro caught up with it and is no longer concerned. "Not really, I saw it finally and.. yes, there are things in common, but, you know, screw it. Lovecraft was there first," he laughed. ( Interview with Guillermo Del Toro http://blogs.indiewire.com/ January 7th 2013)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment