Alien 5: Blomkamp's becomes involved with Alien

 
a) Dreams of involvement with Alien
As a film maker it was just something that he's always wanted to one day be a part of, he didn’t know if it would ever happen. he just always wanted to participate in it if he was able to. So drifting into 2010 to 2011, he really wanted to make a film in that genre, perhaps even that franchise and so came up with a story for a film set in that universe which  he wanted to make and that story didn't involve Sigourney and he dreamt that it would be a part of the world of the Alien movies.

Neill Blomkamp with Sigourney Weaver
b) Conversations with Sigourney
When Neill was filming his movie Chappie, in which Sigourney Weaver had a role, almost immediately he started to talk with her about his love for the Alien series and then on the set of the weapons factory in Chappie, it developed into a conversation about her thoughts and experience making the Alien films and what she thought about the films after Alien in general, and indeed what she felt about Ripley in relation to what was incomplete for her about her story so far. He initially presumed that she would never want to play Ripley again, and he didn't really know himself where one could go with her character in light of Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection

Sigourney said "Yeah, yeah, you know it's a pity we didn't really finish the story. It's such a good story, it's really loved.'I should probably talk to Jim Cameron about that."

So when Neill Blomkamp suddenly said "well, I'm interested in finishing the story. Don't talk to Jim Cameron about that, talk to me about that", he was someone with the sort of talent that she would allow her ears to perk up in order to listen to, so over the year he kept sending her ideas, designs and so on that she thought were brilliant.  They kept talking. She started to think in terms of his interest in making another film "this is why we waited however many years it's been"

There was so much fuel in what she was able to tell Neil, perhaps for more than one movie exploring the further story of Ripley and it set of a bunch of thoughts in his head. It informed and changed the film he wanted to make, turning it into something different. Sharlto Copley the lead actor from District 9 and also played the mercenary in Elysium and the lead robot character in Chappie also was as a friend involved in the conversations about another Alien movie.

c) Interactions with Ridley
Ridley Scott became producer of the Alien 5 film. However Ridley thought that there was something in Neill's concept that was "bumping" the Prometheus franchise a little bit

Quote sources
  1. Sigourney Weaver: It was really organic — we were just chatting about the movie every day on the set of the weapons factory [for Chappie] it was a real weapons factory. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ 5th March 2015)  
  2. Sigourney Weaver: I finally said, 'Yeah, yeah, you know it's a pity we didn't really finish the story. It's such a good story, it's really loved."
    (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ 5th March 2015) 
  3. Sigourney Weaver: I said, 'I should probably talk to Jim Cameron about that.' And he said, 'Don't talk to Jim Cameron about that, talk to me about that.' So we kept talking about it. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ 5th March 2015) 
  4. Neill Blomkamp:  If you go back even three or four years, I’ve wanted to make a film in that genre, in that franchise. I’d come up with an idea, and when I met Sigourney  on the set of Chappie, I presumed that she would never want to play Ripley again. Rightly or wrongly, I had that in my head. I also didn’t know where you could go with her, given Alien 3 and 4. (www.empireonline.com/ 6th March 2015)
  5. Neill Blomkamp: So when I started speaking to her, I just wanted to know more about the process of making the first two films. The first two are the ones that I care about. Then I started to realise there was a whole film – at least a film, if not more – that still contained Ripley, which I was really surprised by.((www.empireonline.com/ 6th March 2015)
  6. Neill Blomkamp: Speaking to Sigourney Weaver, when we were doing 'Chappie,' she set off a bunch of thoughts in my head — I had come up with an idea that didn’t have Sigourney, it was a different idea. But I spent all of the shooting time with her, it was like, holy shit, that could actually be really interesting.  (http://blogs.indiewire.com/ 10th February 2015) 
  7. Den Of Geek: In it, Blomkamp confirms that original Alien director Ridley Scott will be producing the movie and that it won't, in the words of the magazine, 'tread on the toes of Prometheus 2'. "I changed the one thing [Ridley Scott] felt was bumping Prometheus a little bit", Blomkamp confirmed. Scott likes the idea of what Blomkamp has come up with for the new Alien film, the piece confirms, and the new movie won't be called Alien 5. In fact, Neill Blomkamp already has a title in mind. "It's kinda quite bold, but it gives away too much if I say the title", he teased. And as for where the film will sit in the series? It's still not entirely clear. "Where it went after Aliens to me, as a fan, was wrong". The new film will be "the triplet of the first two. There's a shitload missing as a fan that I would want to see". ( http://www.denofgeek.com/ 21st March 2015)
  8. Collider: Before we have to wrap up, I wanted to ask you about the Alien concept art because it seems like the stuff you have in mind is what I’d want from a new Alien movie. Did you just do that for fun or was there any specific reason for you to be doing that?
    BLOMKAMP: No, no, no. There was a reason. I wanted to make that film. I still may make that film. [Laughs] It may happen. But I did it on my own time. Like when Chappie was winding down in post and I had available time, I started to work on it. It was also from talking to Sigourney during the making of this. I mean, I asked her about Alien all the time. Alien and Aliens are my favorite films. So I genuinely wanted to make that film, I came up with the story, I came up with way more art than I put out and I never officially spoke to Fox about it, but Fox wanted to make it. So, I kind of touched on it and I didn’t know what to do, and I didn’t know if I was just gonna go leave directing for a whole bunch of time and then I was like, ‘I might as well put some art out.’ But I may make it. I don’t know. That’s where it stands."(http://collider.com/ March 2nd, This interview was conducted before the Alien project was announced as Blomkamp’s next film.)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment