|Deacon Blue/ Deacon Blues emerges in Prometheus|
- Ridley Scott dubbed this creature the Deacon, based on the pointed shape of its head, similar to a Bishop's head-dress. (Prometheus Blu-Ray gallery notes)
- "Ridley said " It looks like a bishop's mitre, the evil deacon's pointed hat"" recalls Arthur Max. (Prometheus: The art of the film. p186)
- see also exploration of origins of the phrase "The Evil Deacon"
Someone in a forum asked people to post photos of the Deacon. October 5th October2012, I began to think about posting a photograph of the band Deacon Blue and apologise later for getting the wrong Deacon. By the 7th, I started to think about the fact that the Deacon in Prometheus was blue in colour.
|Scottish band Deacon Blue|
The band Deacon Blue, a Scottish pop band formed in Glasgow during 1985 took its name from the 1977 song "Deacon Blues" by Steely Dan. In the lyrics of this song are the lines "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, Call me Deacon Blues" where they're just the names of college football teams and the Deacons were the losers. Meanwhile Steely Dan take their name from the strap-on rubber dildo mentioned in William Burroughs fictional novel Naked Lunch.
|record cover for Steely Dan's Deacon Blues|
If this creature was the "Deacon Blues", Rick McG asked then "who is the crimson tide?" It also happens that Tony Scott, the brother of Ridley Scott had made a movie released in 1995 called The Crimson Tide starring Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman, where "On a US nuclear missile sub, a young first officer stages a mutiny to prevent his trigger happy captain from launching his missiles before confirming his orders to do so." The Nuclear submarine of course is named the USS Alabama.
- "On a US nuclear missile sub, a young first officer stages a mutiny to prevent his trigger happy captain from launching his missiles before confirming his orders to do so." (source: IMDB)
- The US nuclear submarine USS Alabama is assigned a patrol mission, to be available to launch its missiles in a preemptive strike if Radchenko attempts to fuel his missiles. Captain Frank Ramsey (Hackman) is the commanding officer of the sub, and one of the few commanders left in the Navy with any combat experience. He chooses as his new executive officer (XO) Lieutenant Commander Ron Hunter (Washington), who has an extensive education in military history and tactics, but no combat experience. (source: Wikipedia)