Chris Cunningham's Appreciation for Alien


leading from

a) "Alien" was Chris Cunningham's favourite film when he was a child. The other ones he thought were awful although he almost liked the first sequel Aliens. He worked on Alien 3 as a sculptor and Alien Resurrection as a concept artist, although his idea were never used the way he envisaged them.

b) However in terms of influence from Ridley Scott, he felt that his own visual aesthetic was the polar opposite of his, since Ridley's sensibility Alien (as with Blade Runner later) was to build layer upon layer of detail and create a dense, complex world.

Quote source
  1. Interviewer: You appear to have a connection to the star director Ridley Scott
    Chris Cunningham: Only that I'm working for his company, Black Dog Films. That's the only connection. But when I was a kid "Alien" was my favourite film, it had a lot of influence on me. Only the first one. The other ones are awful. The second one was maybe okay - the other two are just terrible.(aheadap4.ilm, 1999)
  2. Chris Cunningham: Visually, Blade Runner didn't influence me at all. In fact, I think my visual aesthetic is the polar opposite to Ridley Scott's. His sensibility with Blade Runner and Alien was to build layer upon layer of detail and create a dense, complex world. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ 2004) 

No comments:

Post a Comment