Alien: Building the Refinery: High on Evostik




leading from

Martin Bower was soon put onto the refinery because Bill Pearson was working on it as well and they knew each other and so could work together.

Bill had done an initial spire gantry, Martin Bower was told that they needed another three, and so he set to work.

He had an ability to visualise without having to do any drawings, and kind of see what's in his  mind, which is, which is a lucky ability to have.

Ron Hone built the platform out of plywood and two by one, etc but Nick Aldham made a metal frame for it in the way he had done for the Nostromo.

Martin Bower remembered when he and Martin Grant were covering the top and bottom of the platform of the platform with 16th inch thick perspex, and there they were on top of the thing getting high on Evostik glue that they were painting on, saying to one another "eh, this is really good, you know this is really good".

They did this to the whole thing and they had to get everything down exactly right while they were getting high, because if they got it wrong, they would have had trouble getting the tiles off.

  1. Martin Bower: But what I got put onto was doing the refinery, because Bill Pearson was on it as well with me and we knew each other anyway, erm and Bill had done an initial spire like gantry , you know, big tall things about five foot high, erm, but I was told that we needed another three of these, so basically I just set two, I just basically made it up as I went along, I mean I seem to have this ability to sort of, I've always been able to visualise without having to do any drawings, I kind of see what's in my mind, which is, which is lucky really, and I can remember vividly, erm,  Ron built the platform again and out of plywood and 2-b'-1 and what have you, but Nick Aldham made a metal frame for it like he made a metal frame for Nostromo as well, erm, but I can remember we had to cover the top and bottom of the platform with 16th inch thick perspex and I can remember me and Martin Gant, remember Martin Gant, I can remember the two of us up there with this UHU, Evo..., Evostik, painting all this Evostik on, we go, "eh, this is really good, you know this is really good", and we covered the whole of this thing, and I can just remember, you know, because we put it down, we had to put it down exactly right, because if you didn't you couldn't get the darned thing off again, you know, anyway we covered it, I think he did more than I did, and then I moved in and started adding all this detail and of course, finished it all and we started shooting on it and we had a yellow Nostromo, which by now we'd all finished. (Alien Makers I)

No comments:

Post a Comment