![]() |
| Special effects man Shane Mahan and director Fede Alavarez on the Corbelan set witih the alien cocoon |
And he was nervous about Fede giving the job to someone else, as was everyone because everything was near enough up for grabs
Dane would produce work, he felt that he was being overzealous about jt, and some of it he thought twas really bad and some of it was really rough.
Eventually, he just got so crushed by how bad what he felt he was doing was, he ended up going into the garage and sculpting it.
He very quickly knocked something out of clay
- Aaron Percival: That cocoon on the wall is brand new. That is something introduced entirely for this film. And it would seem that it was probably, alongside the Offspring, the hardest design challenge you faced while working on Alien: Romulus. Walk us through that design process. Why was this the thing that stumped you, and how did you arrive at that final disgusting take on it?
Dane Hallett: What had stumped me was, number one, I think it was early on and Fede wanted to try me out. And I was nervous about him giving the job to someone else. I think we all were because everything was kind of up for grabs. I would overzealously produce work, and some of it was really bad and some of it was really rough. Eventually, I just got so crushed by how bad what I was doing was, I ended up going into the garage and sculpting it. I very quickly knocked something out of the same material, the monster clay that is on my desk. https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/dane-hallett/
b.ii) Illustrating then cocoon
Xenomorph seemed to have cocoon started off as the ore shrapnel from the Nostromo.
It was like it glommed onto the Xenomorph, and that is how that came to be.
Finally, Fede agreed with that, and then weeks later came back and went, “No, I want to change it. I want it to be like the creature made a cocoon for itself, and that cocoon material should mimic what is in Aliens.” This went with the idea that you have seen the hive and what they do. And Dane’s response was was near enough, “Yes, okay, fair enough.”
And so that also translated into one of the final versions of the wall opening.
Basically, keep it Aliens, because viewers knew what it looks like when they make a cocoon or a wall kind of organic structure. And the way he was imagining that the cocoon existed was that it was not like he hunkered down and then it grew on top of him.
He always sort of saw it as he is pulling secreted resin and building it as it is going, in whatever its form.
It creates that cocoon, and then that cocoon grows rigid and it cracks out of it.
He had this footage of when frogs moult, or when frogs need to hibernate. The mucus on the skin looks really tough, but they can separate it. So they rub their skin and pull it, pull it down until finally they can turn themselves into a little mochi snack. And he thought, “Yes, man, that would be sick if that is how the Alien does it as well.”
- Aaron Percival: The bone ribs were an interesting choice as well.
Dane Hallett: Yes. I think, from memory, I hope I am not conflating memories here, but the Xenomorph cocoon started off as the ore shrapnel from the Nostromo. It was like it glommed onto the Xenomorph, and that is how that came to be. Finally, Fede agreed with that, and then weeks later came back and went, “No, I want to change it. I want it to be like the creature made a cocoon for itself, and that cocoon material should mimic what is in Aliens.” Because you have seen the hive and what they do. And I was like, “Yes, okay, fair enough.”
And so that also translated into one of the final versions of the wall opening. Basically, keep it Aliens, because we know what it looks like when they make a cocoon or a wall kind of organic structure, we know that. And the way I was imagining that the cocoon existed was that it was not like he hunkered down and then it grew on top of him. I always sort of saw it as he is pulling secreted resin and building it as it is going, in whatever its form. It creates that cocoon, and then that cocoon grows rigid and it cracks out of it.
I had this footage of when frogs moult, or when frogs need to hibernate. The mucus on the skin looks really tough, but they can separate it. So they rub their skin and pull it, pull it down until finally they can turn themselves into a little mochi snack. And I thought, “Yes, man, that would be sick if that is how the Alien does it as well.” https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/dane-hallett/
b.iii) Other ideas about the cocoon
He was concerned that thay would be saying behind his back “oh this guy's he's he doesn't get it you know” , when really of course as a commercial artist he wasactually employed to get it , and one had to if one is good, then the artist can figure out what they want and what they need and in that case Dane was just lashing out
He wad near enough thinking “what would I do if I was making this movie? how would I do this?” and he wanted as many kind of textural callbacks to the alien life cycle, human to egg scene, which appeared in the Director’s cut.
He just remembered them as deleted scenes, and used the online fan term “Eggmorphing”
But then there's also the the other sculptures that he tried to sneak in there.
He even tried to infer like almost like the Space Jockey ribcage that had become part of the Engineer’s flight suit in Prometheus as well as the shell for the pilot in the Space Jickey Chair.
He wondered if it was also grown, and so that could be part of it.
He included that in his drawings , and so the face was visible , and maybe this was all necause of the black goo in Prometheus
One could ask what else are they using it for ‘ obviously it makes monsters ‘ but if the company's interested in it, pehaps because you can turn it into armor or you can use it to turn yourself into something like a biomechanical suit as if designed by Giger.
- Interviewer: so tell me about the design of the Cocoon um because we saw from from the the designs that you've released uh the the sort of concept of it saw some of the egg morphing in there which I really appreciated I really liked that uh it's something which it's very like some people love it some people hate it I really like I really like the idea of egg morphing
Dane: yeah
Interviewer: um so what what what was the design what was the what was the notes that you got as well uh from Fede, what was the direction that you, and what was it that you ultimately wanted to bring and did bring?
Dane: yeah uh well that was it was like a nerve-wracking kind of time because um you I mean also you've just met these people that you're now working with you know and also again like I happen to really be a fan of Fede’s stuff so I was like triple nervous you know um and that was me kind of lashing out I was like “all right man I'm I'm I'm going to try the shit that I want to try, and uh you know you feel free to shoot it down or change it or push against it you know” and you don't know sometimes they can scare a director off uh sometimes
Interviewer: mmm
Dane: they go “oh this guy's he's he doesn't get it you know” when really of course as a commercial artist you you are actually employed to get it um you have to you have to if you're good then you can figure out what they want and what they need and uh in that case I was just lashing out I was like “what would I do if I was making this movie? how would I do this?” you know and I wanted as many kind of textural callbacks to the almost like behind the scenes shit, you know like you can see those obviously those are deleted scenes the egg morphing stuff is a deleted scene, but then there's also the the other sculptures that I tried to sneak in there and even I like I tried to infer like almost like the jockey’s or the jockey costume uh as it is now after Prometheus that armor that they wear, maybe that that's also grown you know like that could be a part of it and that's where you can in one of those drawings that I shared you can kind of see that that face and just like maybe cuz if that black shit is as zany as Prometheus made it out to be I mean what what what else are they using it for you know obviously it makes monsters but you know like the company's interested in it maybe because you can turn it into armor or you can use it to turn yourself into like a Giger suit you know what I mean so
Interviewer: Mmm
Dane: anyway that that's where all that stuff came from
(Mr H Reviews, 2025 https://youtu.be/9bgYP2J9blA?is=JXilrqfy8aHjZCnZ)
c) Placing the cocoon
Dane had placed the cocoon on the floor, rather than at the top of the wall, but thankfully Fede didn't get scared . he came back and said to Dane “no no man it's more like this you know” and then went onto say “no no man um think of the tunnel like think of the tunnel like this and the guy finds it there you know”
Dane responded with words to the effect of “okay all right” and he would then ask questions like “is it inset, like did the creature set itself in a groove? Because corridors can have like grooves and like that's like a cockroach would do that cockroach is very rarely just going to do it like in the middle it's going to go like in the corner or in the groove of something you know
Whether Fede got back to me specifically about that kind of stuff is not clear, but Dane started to incorporate it and that's where he began to infer and it was visible in his drawings you can where he was inferring that there's more information behind the wall than you actually see you know
If it came about like a little Bambi burster creating its little cocoon, he didn’t know how it got up there. He would imagine it's l the alien in Alien 3 is ontop of the corridor or or the big Alien beast at the end when it's in the Narcissus, where it's laying down it and its opening its lith and so tongue with jaws comes out , where to Dane it seemed just like a snake that has just shed its skin and it's just like stretching ,
And so Dane imagine that the maybe the Bambi's doing the exact same thing up there in the grooves of all the cables and stuff of that Corridor and then that's where it sort of sets itself up, he never drew this but he would like to do it where perhaps the creature is pulling the resin from it itself to create whatever it's going to make.
He thought that would look very interesting in an extreme way.
He used to have this toad that when it wanted to hibernate, it develop this thick mucous membrane around itself and then it will pull it over itself like this to create its cocoon.
He hope to dhpw this perhaps in the next Alien film that he was involved in.
so he didn't know it was going to be upside down to what he was doing.
He hadn’t seen any storyboards at the time, so he was just making it all up, but then every time he intuitive sense that maybe Fede was thinking about this or maybe they're thinking about that then he would just I would just lean into it.
- Interviewer: so tell me about the design of the Cocoon um because we saw from from the the designs that you've released uh the the sort of concept of it saw some of the egg morphing in there which I really appreciated I really liked that uh it's something which it's very like some people love it some people hate it I really like I really like the idea of egg morphing
Dane: yeah
Interviewer: um so what what what was the design what was the what was the notes that you got as well uh from Fede, what was the direction that you, and what was it that you ultimately wanted to bring and did bring?
Dane: yeah uh well that was it was like a nerve-wracking kind of time because um you I mean also you've just met these people that you're now working with you know and also again like I happen to really be a fan of Fede’s stuff so I was like triple nervous you know um and that was me kind of lashing out I was like “all right man I'm I'm I'm going to try the shit that I want to try, and uh you know you feel free to shoot it down or change it or push against it you know” and you don't know sometimes they can scare a director off uh sometimes
Interviewer: mmm
Dane: they go “oh this guy's he's he doesn't get it you know” when really of course as a commercial artist you you are actually employed to get it um you have to you have to if you're good then you can figure out what they want and what they need and uh in that case I was just lashing out I was like “what would I do if I was making this movie? how would I do this?” you know and I wanted as many kind of textural callbacks to the almost like behind the scenes shit, you know like you can see those obviously those are deleted scenes the egg morphing stuff is a deleted scene, but then there's also the the other sculptures that I tried to sneak in there and even I like I tried to infer like almost like the jockey’s or the jockey costume uh as it is now after Prometheus that armor that they wear, maybe that that's also grown you know like that could be a part of it and that's where you can in one of those drawings that I shared you can kind of see that that face and just like maybe cuz if that black shit is as zany as Prometheus made it out to be I mean what what what else are they using it for you know obviously it makes monsters but you know like the company's interested in it maybe because you can turn it into armor or you can use it to turn yourself into like a Giger suit you know what I mean so
Interviewer: Mmm
Dane: anyway that that's where all that stuff came from and I was just like lashing out like just like getting all of that shit out of my system and thankfully uh Fede didn't get scared and he came back and says “no no man it's more like this you know” like “okay all right” so I didn't know it was going to be upside down I didn't know that like I didn't see any storyboards at the time so I was just making it all up um but then every time I like I could smell like oh maybe maybe he's thinking about this or maybe they're thinking about that then I would just I would just lean into it like so yeah
Interviewer: Oh okay so so I mean look the Cocoon itself I think it's a fantastic design I think it's genuinely really really really great and it's very it's very Giger very very Giger but without being without being an homage almost uh I think it's something which he would have looked at you know and probably gone “yeah, no, I approve of that “
Dane: yeah I'm sorry
Interviewer: what what I mean it's very vaginal right
Dane:yeah, yeah of course
Interviewer: out out the way and and it should be
Dane: yes
Interviewer: um because I think the alien franchise the alien franchise has really lost the
Dane: psychosexual
Interviewer: yeah the sort of sexual horror aspect
Dane: absolutely yeah , yeah
Interviewer: um and that and that is integral to it's integral to the horror that you know the the the xenomorph exhibits on the audience
Dane: yeah
Interviewer: so I really really appreciated that with the the Cocoon design um so you know obviously we've jumped ahead a little bit because I know you did some work on the chest burster
Dane:mmhmm
Interviewer: but the Cocoon itself so what was your thinking what is it like how does it make it because it's this tiny little chest burster what was your thought process overall
Dane: um well I think you know I mean Fede had an opinion about like sort of everything so when I when when he sees like the broad strokes of those egg morphing ones right so what that does is that provides an opportunity for him to push against something you know and it's the same for every director I mean that that's why in this field you can't afford to be necessarily attached to everything you do like I mean I try to because I want to put myself into it but when those ideas just get cut down you just you just hack it you just go oh “okay it's not right, it’s not quite it” but but it helps to guide them so they'll it's almost like when they know what they don't want it will encourage them to find what they do want you know a good director
Interviewer:Yeah
Dane: and um and so Fede would kind of like go “no no man um think of the tunnel like think of the tunnel like this and the guy finds it there you know”
I go “okay all right” and then I would ask questions I'm like “is it inset, like did the creature set itself in a groove you know like, ‘cause you know corridors can have like grooves and like that's like a cockroach would do that cockroach is very rarely just going to do it like in the middle it's going to go like in the corner or in the groove of something you know and um uh I can't remember if you got back to me specifically about that kind of stuff but I started to incorporate it and that's where I began to infer and you can see in those drawings you can where I was inferring that there's more information behind the wall than you actually see you know and in terms of it being like a little Bambi burster creating its little cocoon I don't know how it got up there I imagine it's like like like the alien and alien 3 is ontop of the roof and all that sort of shit, or or the big chap at the end when it's in the when it's in the um the little ship the um the Name Escapes me but where it's laying down it and and its mouth comes out where it's just like it's like a snake that has just shed its skin and it's just like stretching you know uh and so I imagine that the maybe the Bambi's doing the exact same thing up there in the grooves of of all the cables and shit of that of that Corridor and then that's where it sort of sets itself up and then again up, I I've never drawn this but I would like to do it where where they I would love to think that they're pulling the resin from it itself to create whatever it's going to make, I think that would look sick you know or I I used to have this toad that uh when it wanted to hibernate like itwould develop this thick mucous membrane around itself and then it will pull it it will pull it over itself like this to create its cocoon um I think that would look sick I've done like a couple of little drawings out there in the world where I sort of lean on that a a little bit but I don't know maybe the next one maybe I'll get to show that
Interviewer: yeah no I I like that idea I like that idea a lot (Mr H Reviews https://youtu.be/9bgYP2J9blA?is=JXilrqfy8aHjZCnZ)
![]() |
| Source https://www.instagram.com/dane_hallett_art/ |
![]() |
| Source https://www.instagram.com/dane_hallett_art/ |
![]() |
| Source https://www.instagram.com/dane_hallett_art/ |
It was taking Dane a long time to do such a basic shape to get it right. So he was disappointed in himself.
He boiled it so that it was jelly, so that he could get the proportions right and he could jam it all in together.
And then he could trust the lighting fully if he hit it with a strong light., the whole creature fits into this space and there is no negative space.
Dane’s background was in prop making.
When he first got into the film industry, he was in special effects and making props.
He didn’t know if he was ever necessarily a good prop maker, but he had the ability to use lateral thinking.
There are all these other ways you can solve the problem.
If he is hard up against a design and he is disappointed in himself, that disappointment can poison his productivity.
He could lose all of his calm demeanor and when that happened to him, he freaked out,
He might have been doing one drawing for four hours, and this would seem stupid.
Sometimes it helps him to just do blind drawings after that, or to bust out of that nonsense.
But in that case, he was just disappointed in himself as well.
He went forth to make it, he was going to put all the parts on it and just see what he could do. And that is how that came about.
Self-loathing sometimes really helped him out.
- Adam Zeller: And speaking of that other cocoon, or the chrysalis as it is sometimes called at the beginning of the film, one of our Patreon supporters, Thomas Kane, asked about it. My understanding is that you boiled a NECA Alien figure and wrapped wire around it to get inspiration for the hardened cocoon Big Chap that was found at the beginning of the movie. My question is, how did you get the idea to do that when designing Big Chap’s cocoon, and do you always have such a creative approach when designing things for other films?Dane Hallett: Only when I am messing up badly. It forces you to be a bit more creative. It was taking me a long time to do such a basic shape to get it right. So I was disappointed in myself. I didn’t melt it down, but I boiled it so that it was jelly, so that I could get the proportions right and I could jam it all in together. And then I could trust the lighting fully if I hit it with a strong light. Oh, the whole creature fits into this space and there is no negative space. And so that is how I did that.But my background was in prop making. When I first got into the film industry, I was in special effects and making props. I don’t know if I was ever necessarily a good prop maker, but I guess it is that lateral thinking. There are all these other ways you can solve the problem. If I am hard up against a design and I am disappointed in myself, that disappointment can poison my productivity. You lose all of your cool. When that happens to me and I freak out, I think I was doing one drawing for four hours. This is stupid. Sometimes it helps to just do blind drawings after that, or to bust out of that nonsense. But in that case, I was just disappointed in myself as well. I am going to make it, I am going to put all the parts on it and just see what I can do. And that is how that came about. Self-loathing. I mean, sometimes it really helps you out. https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/dane-hallett/
- Dane Hallett: Partly spooked by the talent already on board Romulus, and my admiration for Fede, I was choking on the cocoon shape, trying to get it just right. After many drawings, I sculpted one out of frustration, photographed it, then painted over it..Here is that rough sculpt and then the photos of the final one on set taken by Fede a few months later.. Did I say I loved this job, already!? (Instagram, 3rd September 2024)
- When asked to name a moment where such an instance occurred, Mahan refers to the close-up of the elongated Xenomorph fingers piercing through the embryonic sac during the Cocoon effect: “In the [Xenomorph] birthing sequence, there’s a hand that the fingers kind of bend backwards and unfold on themselves. That was an important moment for that sequence because it’s like a butterfly coming out of a cocoon, where it doesn’t really have joints or bones, but it’s something interesting to look at, and it helps tell the story of how it is emerging or coming alive.” Adds Mahan, “And we certainly had to get the attack heads, where the tongue is going and attacking into the head of a character. Just getting that timing to make sure that we get that shot correct. It’s a gruesome shot, but it’s an iconic element of the Alien franchise. Someone’s going to get the secondary mouth shot through the eye."(https://www.laweekly.com/building-nightmares-shane-mahan-gives-a-behind-the-scenes-dive-into-the-special-effects-of-alien-romulus/)(https://www.laweekly.com/building-nightmares-shane-mahan-gives-a-behind-the-scenes-dive-into-the-special-effects-of-alien-romulus/)
- Fede Alvarez: We thought we could add something without betraying the canon, without contradicting anything that happens in the movies, particularly in the first one, particularily the deleted scene from the first one, you see the eggs on the walls, there's more to it even if you accept that or not, but I think there's more happening in the ship but we don't know about it, so I think that's acceptable. Anyhow that shock level as well, the growling, that's when it starts being born, the opening of the arm, all those things I think again, I think Shane and his team executed flawlessly but also, I don't think you get to see it clearly in the movie but the... the cocoon is kind of, is kind of blended with the ship so you see the tubes all sort of, they start running through the wall, they start turning into organic matter, they turn into cocoon, which for me give way to justify why this happened, all the biomechanical aspects of the creature because it almost it's taken the energy, if like in a way the DNA of the mechanics of the ship, amalgamation ... amalgamated way and that's why again, for a new generation, a new audience who haven't seen it, if they see that grow and it's got spikes on the side of its head they say look at that, it's kind of born out of the mix of the ship in its own DNA, and so I thought that was cool and that would definitely get it a good wow moment, and I think obviously the first one has (Perfect Organism: Interviewing Fede Alvarez Part 2, September 2024 (NB I'm still trying to decipher what Fede is saying word for word, but I think I've got the basic sense of his statements transcribed at least)
- Alien: Romulus shows a previously unseen step in the alien lifecycle by having the full-grown, final-stage xenomorph emerge from a cocoon. An acid-shooting cocoon. Mahan recalled Álvarez's explanation, "This is a new stage of the lifecycle we've never seen before, and it may be just unique to this particular ship, or it might be unique to this particular story. Or maybe it was something that was just never seen in previous movies.’” (https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/alien-romulus-behind-the-scenes-practical-effects-with-fx-legends-creating-xenomorphs-facehuggers-chestbursters-rook-offspring-spaceships?)
- Legacy Effects built a xenomorph suit for the cocoon scene. “That
secondary suit was for the birthing scene. That moment needed a lot of
dexterity to come out [of the cocoon]. The best way to do that was with a
suit actor.”(https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/alien-romulus-behind-the-scenes-practical-effects-with-fx-legends-creating-xenomorphs-facehuggers-chestbursters-rook-offspring-spaceships?)
![]() |
g.iii) Operating the remote controlled mechanisms of the cocoon with the tongue like forms opening out
![]() |
| Mike West operates the cable-driven mechanical 'petals' of the xenomorph cocoon. Images courtesy Legacy Effects |
g.iv) The closed cocoon lit from the inside
![]() |
| The completed cocoon with glowing internal lighting effects. Image courtesy Legacy Effects.) |
h) Dane Hallett visits the set
![]() |
| Source https://www.instagram.com/dane_hallett_art/ |
![]() |
| Source https://www.instagram.com/dane_hallett_ |


















"Alien:Romulus - Alien beast coming out of the cocoon" was posted on 8th September 2024
ReplyDelete