Alien: Dan O'Bannon meets Ron Cobb part 1

leading from 

Introduction
Dan O'Bannon, then around the age of 23, contacted Ron Cobb who was now around 32, somewhere in the year of 1969 while in the middle of the period when Ron was doing the cartoons for Free Press, just to talk. This would also be the year when Playboy would feature an article about Ron and his work in September.

Dan was visiting LA from St Louis, he liked Ron's cartoons and just wanted to meet him, telling him that he was a fan. When he saw Ron's science fiction and fantasy paintings and his response was "My God!"

He had heard that Ron was very interesting in science fiction films

"Oh yes, I certainly am" Ron told Dan

And Dan wanted to communicate that he himself was interested in making them. They talked a little bit, Dan managed to show off that he was someone with a brilliant imagination, he mentioned that he wanted to make films one day, that he was going to take film in USC and maybe he'd get back to Ron sometime.

Ron said "Well fine. I'd love to. You know, I have a lot of thoughts on this."


Quote sources
  1. Ron Cobb: Dan contacted me once, in the middle of the period I was doing the cartoons for Free Press, just to talk. He liked the cartoons, and he wanted to meet me.. He was just out from St. Louis and was very interested in making SF films. He had heard that I was interested in that sort of thing.  I said "Oh yeah, I certainly am." We talked a little bit and he said he was going to take film in USC and maybe he'd get back to me sometime. I said "well fine. I'd love to. You know, I have a lot of thoughts on this."(Fantastic Films)
  2. It was through his cartooning for the L.A . Free Press that Cobb got to meet Dan O'Bannon. (Starlog 57)
  3. Ron Cobb: He'd been following them and wanted to meet me. We shared an enthusiasm for films, science fiction and filmmaking. (Starlog 57)
  4. Dan O'Bannon: Yes. Back in 1969 I sought out Ron Cobb. I was nothing, he was a cartoonist for the LA Free Press. I looked him up and I told him I was a fan. I visited him and saw his science fiction and fantasy paintings, and I thought, "My God!" (Heavy Metal, July, 1983)
  5. Ron Cobb: Toward the end of the period when I was doing the cartoons for Free Press, I met Dan O'Bannon , and he was kind of a fan of my cartoons. He'd just seen them and just wanted to meet me. We had a really nice talk, and I really liked him because he had this amazing imagination, and he said something about how he wanted to make a film someday. "(Rocketblast Comicollector 148, p27)
  6. Starburst: Who approached you about Dark Star

    Ron Cobb: Dan O'Bannon. I met him initially in the period when I was doing the cartoons. He called me up once saying he wanted to meet me because of the cartoons. I learned that he wanted to get into films. He'd just come out for St Louis to LA. I barely remember meeting him. He finally got onto the subject of making films, particularly fantasy films. That really rang a bell. I had a science fiction childhood, so we had a very animated conversation about all the things that hadn't been done on the screen and wouldn't if be great if we could do that some day.
    (Starburst #? "Ron Cobb On Alien)

No comments:

Post a Comment