Chris Nolan on Alien and Blade Runner

 
When Chris Nolan had always been a huge fan of Ridley Scott, and when he was a child both Alien and Blade Runner blew him away because they created these extraordinary worlds that he found just completely immersive. He found himself analyzing the fact that he loved both of these movies which were different stories with different actors but the same mind behind them. So it brought him to focus on the idea of the director and how the director could have a controlling effect on the creative side of the film that is undefinable, but still important and something that the viewer would be able to feel

Source Quotes
  1. Christopher Nolan: I've always loved films. I started making films when I was seven years old and I haven't stopped. I never really thought about doing anything else. What I love are films that create their own particular geography, a particular world and emerse you in it for a couple of hours. I have always been a huge fan of Ridley Scott and certainly when I was a kid. Alien, Blade Runner just blew me away because they created these extraordinary worlds that were just completely immersive. I was also an enormous Stanley Kubrick fan for similar reasons. As I got older, I got more interested in films that I had not grown up with - sort cinema people like Nicolas Roeg, Syney Lumet and John Frankenheimer. (Quote taken frompost at http://www.nolanfans.com/)
  2. QUESTION: You mentioned that you have loved movies since you were a child. Who are some of the filmmakers whose works have influenced your thinking and feelings?
    NOLAN: It is difficult to single out just a few. I have always admired Stanley Kubrick, Terrence Malick, Ridley Scott and Nicholas Roeg to name as few. I loved 2001: A Space Odyssey, Chinatown and Lawrence of Arabia. Alien and Blade Runner blew me away. All of those films created extraordinary, completely immersive worlds. 
    (A Conversation with Christopher Nolan
    by Bob Fisher, interview to be found in a forum on Joblo http://www.joblo.com/)
  3. Chris Nolan: I remember being very struck by Ridley Scott’s film Blade Runner and noticing or sort of analyzing the fact that I liked [Scott's] Alien, as well — two totally different films, different actors, different stories, really, but the same mind behind them. And that’s what I was sort of focused on, the idea of the director and how the director could have a controlling effect on the creative side of the film that’s indefinable, but important and something you kind of feel.  (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment